Subject: Re: list protection
From: Brent Chapman <Brent @ GreatCircle . COM>
Date: Fri, 28 Mar 1997 14:59:27 -0800
To: "D. J. Bernstein" <djb @ koobera . math . uic . edu>, list-managers @ greatcircle . com
Cc: edz @ UIC . EDU (Zone/Tech/Admin contact for UIC.EDU domain)

At 3:01 AM +0000 3/28/97, D. J. Bernstein wrote:
>> If the only way you can think of to announce your private
>> little take-off of list-abuse (grow some originality, maybe?)
>
>list-protection predates list-abuse; not that you care about facts.
>
>> is to attack list-managers by forging Brent's address,
>
>Works better to attack it by sending mail to -outgoing, I think.
>
>> Let me guess -- you'll promote "greater security" by
>> telling folks how to hack any list not running qmail?
>
>qmail isn't a mailing list manager.
>
>Anyway, yes, I will point out security holes where I see them.
>
>Several people in my crypto class were able to break majordomo's cookie
>system, under time pressure, as an extra-credit problem on the midterm.
>You're a fool if you think spammers will have trouble doing the same.
>
>> You disgust me, sir.
>
>You disgust me too. You're attacking the people who point out security
>problems, rather than working to help fix the problems.
>
>---Dan
>Let your users manage their own mailing lists.
>http://pobox.com/~djb/qmail.html

Mr. Bernstein, this is your last warning.  If you are going to persist in
making a nuisance of yourself on the GreatCircle.COM mailing lists (by
forging email, by bypassing the proper posting method and sending directly
to the -outgoing address, and so forth), you are going to be removed from
those lists and barred from further access to this site.

We will _not_ be terrorized by you into "fixing" supposed "problems" here,
when the only one exploiting those problems is YOU.

You claim to worry about unsolicited commercial email destroying the
community of mailing lists.  Well, let me tell you, you're doing a hell of
a job of that yourself right now.

We don't _need_ you to demonstrate the problems.  We know that there are
problems.  You want to discuss the problems, fine.  You want to propose
solutions, fine.  But right now, you're causing me and my subscribers more
trouble than all the spammers!  You are NOT being part of the solution
right now, you're being a major part of the problem.  If you can't get your
act together, then go somewhere else.

-Brent

--
Brent Chapman			Internet/intranet training and consulting,
Brent@GreatCircle.COM		specializing in network design and security.