Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(June 1997)

Subject: Re: A Question of Propriety
From: fe3a002 @ rrz . uni-hamburg . de (Andreas Koerber)
Date: 03 Jun 1997 21:51:00 +0200
To: list-managers @ greatcircle . com

Kent larsen wrote:
KSLI> > Why?  Is the entire web not built on the premise of linking?
KSLI> > Unless you are pulling THEIR content INTO your site, there is
KSLI> > no copyright issue involved. There is no need to remove your
KSLI> > links.
KSLI> >
KSLI> While IANAL, I think this is not legally clear. I've read
KSLI> recently about a dispute between Microsoft and Sidewalks over
KSLI> MS's link to Sidewalks (I think I have this right, but I'm not
KSLI> completely sure).

This seems to be a problem which stems from the technique not
providing means to show in the link whether it goes to a foreig site
(outside) or to another place in your own hierarchy. This makes it
easy to achieve the appearance that those contents you link to were
your own - especially when frames come in.

I don't think linking is violation of copyright, but one shloud
consider making it clear in the linking text that this is an outside
resoucre which is being linked to, maybe by expressly stating their
name. Then they should rather be pleased than angry.

Yours

--
MfG                                    public pgp-key via e-mail:
Andreas Koerber                        set subject "SEND PGPKEY"

Indexed By Date Previous: Where have mailllist about oracle?