Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(June 1997)

Subject: Mangled outgoing mail
From: Cyndi Norman <cnorman @ best . com>
Date: Tue, 10 Jun 1997 16:55:16 -0700 (PDT)
To: list-managers @ GreatCircle . COM
Cc: cnorman @ shellx . best . com

Someone who I know from my list and another we are both on is consistantly
sending mail that's very badly formatted.  It has odd line wrap and puts
equal signs at the end of many lines.  There are also a bunch of characters
that are unknown to ascii so they come out as garbage.

He's been experimenting with it to see if he can fix it but hasn't had any
luck.  If he puts hard linefeeds at the end of every (short) line, the wrap
problem is solved but the equal signs and the untranslated characters
remain.

I have seen this sort of thing before, but his is by far the worst.  I
can't even read his posts and I force myself to get through his private
email.  Occainaionally my own mail will get mangled in similar ways when
bounced back to me from a mailer demon.  One bounce mailer was Forte; I
didn't catch the name of the other one.

I use plain old UNIX mail (RMAIL via EMACS).  He uses the mailer that
compuserve makes.

Any suggestions?  Is there a setting he can change?  Or is that mailer
beyond repair?

Thanks,
Cyndi

Here are some examples:

Example 1:

I don't have wide choices about the software since I am using the standar=
Compuserve package and it formats automatically.  The only on-screen choi=
ce
is to send the message as "reformattable" (so that it supposedly
reconfigures automatically to the incoming software's format) and "Send a=
Shown" where it should maintain the text exactly as it appears on my scre=
en
(but when I do that there are no line wraps, each paragraph will appear a=
one line on my screen and the same on an incoming screen - unless I put i=
manual character returns).

Example 2:

=3D=3D=3D=3D

Example 3:

I am formatting this manually and keeping
the lines short.

I can see that at a certain length something
was chopping off the last letter and =

inserting the =3D symbol and a return.  =

That must be absolutely infuriating to =

read.  However I can also see that some
of the lines which were chopped off
were considerably shorter than some =

which were not.  Weird !!!!!

"There's nothing wrong with me.  Maybe there's                     Cyndi Norman
something wrong with the universe." (ST:TNG)                   cnorman@best.com

Follow-Ups:
Indexed By Date Previous: bounce messages