Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(June 1997)

Subject: Re: Yet another cryptic AOL bounce...
From: Chuq Von Rospach <chuqui @ plaidworks . com>
Date: Sat, 21 Jun 1997 15:12:57 -0700
To: "Henry W. Miller" <henrym @ sacto . mp . usbr . gov>, themet @ mindspring . com
Cc: list-managers @ GreatCircle . COM, henrym @ sacto . mp . usbr . gov

At 9:39 PM -0700 6/20/97, Henry W. Miller wrote:
>	So, I'm ASSUMING that it was some sort of wierd, temporary
>problem.  However, the comment that it was a TEMPORARY error, sent with
>a PERMANENT error code, is alarming.

No, under the circumstances taht makes sense. What they are saying is
that THIS mail is undeliverable, but with a warning that we shouldn't
take that as meaning the account is invalid.

There have been some power outages on the east coast. Uunet, I believe,
was affecte, and I think AOL was as well. If that's true and they're
still getting all of their systems back online and back to 100%, this
kind of error is perfectly reasonable.

--
         Chuq Von Rospach (chuq@apple.com) Apple IS&T Mail List Gnome
                       <http://www.solutions.apple.com/>