Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(October 1997)

From: Dave Voorhis <dave @ armchair . mb . ca>
Date: Wed, 01 Oct 1997 19:56:45 -0500
To: delundel @ netguide . com, list-managers @ GreatCircle . COM

At 05:26 PM 10/1/97 -0700, David Lundell wrote:

>First and foremost, do you feel, from an ethical standpoint, that
>mailing list administrators should always verify a user before
>subscribing that user?

Do you mean manually, or via automated mechanisms in the MLM software?  I
find that the automated verification mechanism in Majordomo (for example)
handles that very well.  After suffering numerous prank s*bscriptions
earlier this year, they almost dropped to zero after enabling verification.
 I say "almost", because I've had a few cases where the prankster obtained
a NetAddress account, s*bscribed to lists, and then set the account to
forward to the victim.  Of course, verification won't prevent that.

>Lastly, if any of you have switched from no verification at all to some
>type of verification, did you notice a slow-down in the growth of your
>lists?

I don't have any hard numbers to back it up (though I could produce them,
if anyone's really interested), but I'd say there's been a very slight
slow-down on my lists.  I attribute that to the slight difficulty (if you
can call it that) of processing the verifications, as it prevents
s*bscriptions from those who are completely unable to follow written
directions.  I do not consider that to be a bad thing, because it helps
keep those who are unable to manage their email from repeatedly
demonstrating that fact in front of thousands of other people.

Dave Voorhis
mailto:dave@armchair.mb.ca
http://www.armchair.mb.ca/~dave