Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(October 1997)

From: Dave Voorhis <dave @ armchair . mb . ca>
Date: Wed, 01 Oct 1997 19:56:45 -0500
To: delundel @ netguide . com, list-managers @ GreatCircle . COM

At 05:26 PM 10/1/97 -0700, David Lundell wrote:

>First and foremost, do you feel, from an ethical standpoint, that
>mailing list administrators should always verify a user before
>subscribing that user?

Do you mean manually, or via automated mechanisms in the MLM software?  I
find that the automated verification mechanism in Majordomo (for example)
handles that very well.  After suffering numerous prank s*bscriptions
earlier this year, they almost dropped to zero after enabling verification.
 I say "almost", because I've had a few cases where the prankster obtained
a NetAddress account, s*bscribed to lists, and then set the account to
forward to the victim.  Of course, verification won't prevent that.

>Lastly, if any of you have switched from no verification at all to some
>type of verification, did you notice a slow-down in the growth of your

I don't have any hard numbers to back it up (though I could produce them,
if anyone's really interested), but I'd say there's been a very slight
slow-down on my lists.  I attribute that to the slight difficulty (if you
can call it that) of processing the verifications, as it prevents
s*bscriptions from those who are completely unable to follow written
directions.  I do not consider that to be a bad thing, because it helps
keep those who are unable to manage their email from repeatedly
demonstrating that fact in front of thousands of other people.

Dave Voorhis

Indexed By Date Previous: Re: Subscription Verification