Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(October 1997)

Subject: FWD: New qmail anti-spam system
From: "Henry W. Miller" <henrym @ SACTO . MP . USBR . GOV>
Date: Mon, 27 Oct 1997 23:31:43 -0800
To: list-managers @ greatcircle . com
Cc: henrym @ SACTO . MP . USBR . GOV

	Submitted, for your approval: (and by the approval of the author)
a message post to the qmail list earlier today by Russ Nelson,
concerning proposed DNS extensions and an extension to the qmail system
for fighting spam.

-HWM

Just about now, Paul Vixie and our own John Levine are on a panel at
NANOG (North American Network Operator's Guild) giving a presentation
on various anti-spam measures.  One of these measures is Paul's MAPS
(Mail Abuse Protection System), and the associated RBL (Realtime
Blocking List).  Paul publishes this list based on recommendations he
receives from various spam fighters.  He's taking those measures to a
new level by publishing the RBL via DNS records.  The RBL was
previously only available via a BGP feed, and a signed agreement with
Paul.

qmail users can now make use of the RBL without needing to know
anything about BGP, and without prior arrangement with Paul.
http://www.qmail.org/rbl has patches for qmail and ucspi.  Apply the
patches, reinstall, and your incoming spam will be greatly reduced
without any effort on your part.  And you'll help the anti-spam effort
by making a listing in the RBL much more feared by spammers.

--
-russ <nelson@crynwr.com>  http://www.crynwr.com/~nelson  | Freedom is the
Crynwr Software supports freed software | PGPok |   primary cause of peace.

Indexed By Date Previous: Re: If I may have my own rant...