Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(October 1997)

From: "Todd O." <2bits @ wco . com>
Date: Wed, 29 Oct 1997 08:20:36 -0800
To: Dave Voorhis <dave @ armchair . mb . ca>
Cc: List-Managers @ GreatCircle . COM

At 12:51 AM 10/29/97 -0600, Dave Voorhis wrote:
>That may be true, but I think Mr. Guilmette's point is that some of us
>altruists are leaving loaded high-powered weapons where small children can
>play with them.  A list without confirmation mechanisms is the closest
>thing we have to a loaded 'net weapon.

Well, then, consider me armed and dangerous.  I have no confirmation
mechanisms for my lists.  It's not that I don't want them.  I have pleaded
for them.  However, the software on the site where my lists are hosted does
not have up to date software with auto-confirm features.  Some day, I am
told, that will change.  It may be months ahead, however.  And I know that
I am not alone in my circumstances.

The best I have been able to come up with is to delay approval of
subscription requests by a few days.  This is inconvenient to my would-be
subscribers, but it does help would-be victims avoid getting a ton of new
list mail all at once.  I don't have time to manually confirm each
subscription request, but the delay has seemed to help.  Just a tip for any
other list-managers who may be "packin'" even though they don't want to do
anyone harm. <G>

 Todd Ourston  *  *  Marin County, California

Indexed By Date Previous: Re: