Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(October 1997)

From: Brian Behlendorf <brian @ hyperreal . org>
Date: Wed, 29 Oct 1997 14:59:29 -0800
To: "Todd O." <2bits @ wco . com>
Cc: List-Managers @ GreatCircle . COM

At 08:20 AM 10/29/97 -0800, Todd O. wrote:
>Well, then, consider me armed and dangerous.  I have no confirmation
>mechanisms for my lists.  It's not that I don't want them.  I have pleaded
>for them.  However, the software on the site where my lists are hosted does
>not have up to date software with auto-confirm features.  Some day, I am
>told, that will change.  It may be months ahead, however.  And I know that
>I am not alone in my circumstances.

Consider me armed and dangerous.  I have no brakes for my car.  It's not
that I don't want them.  I have pleaded for them.  However, the mechanic at
my local auto shop does not know how to install brakes on my car.  Some
day, I am told, that will change.  It may be months ahead, however.  And
who knows how many accidents I'll get in by then.

Seriously, Todd.  You're in the bay area.  You have a plethora of ISP's to
choose from, most of whom will host mailing lists for a very reasonable
fee, if not free, and many of whom will have confirmation functions in
their mailing lists.  I consider those sites housing lists without
confirmation to be just as recklessly dangerous to the health of the 'net
as open SMTP relays, if not worse.  Vote with your feet and leave, or get
wco.com to upgrade their majordomo installation.

	Brian