Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(November 1997)

Subject: Re: sunyjefferson.edu
From: jtlist @ pigsfly . com (Jerry Trowbridge)
Date: Mon, 03 Nov 1997 17:22:47 GMT
To: Gillam Kerley <gkerley @ execpc . com>
Cc: List-Managers @ GreatCircle . COM

On Sun, 02 Nov 1997 23:13:22 -0600, Gillam Kerley <gkerley@execpc.com>
wrote:

>As a subscriber to lists (who is considering starting a list or two), I
>have never had any trouble following confirmation instructions, and
>agree that they are a good idea for the reasons already stated on this
>list.
>
>However, my gripe is with confirmation messages that expire in 24 hours.
>Depending on my schedule, I may only be able to check my e-mail once or
>twice a week.  By the time I see the confirmation notice, it has expired
>and I have to start all over or say "to hell with your list."

I think the best answer to this is a fast list-server. If you can get
the confirmation notice back to the user in less than 5 minutes, then
they can either confirm or ignore right then and there.

This, of course, depends on not only your list-server, but on the mail
queue from the potential subscriber's ISP.

I'd hope that somebody that checks their email and uploads responses
would check it again fairly soon, to catch misdirected messages,
bounces, and autoresponses.

But of course, we're neither perfect nor living in a perfect world.

Jerry Trowbridge
--at the Flying Pig Ranch