Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(November 1997)

Subject: Re: Invalid Email addresses in InterNIC whois database
From: jtlist @ pigsfly . com (Jerry Trowbridge)
Date: Tue, 04 Nov 1997 17:55:01 GMT
To: appel @ erzo . org
Cc: list-managers @ greatcircle . com

On Mon, 03 Nov 1997 17:41:27 -0800, Shannon Appel <appel@erzo.org>
wrote:

>How exactly do you expect Internic to verify postal addresses and
>phone numbers?

As has been said, phone numbers are nice, but a valid email address is
the biggest problem for me.

Increasingly, we're finding not only the obvious bogus nohost.com type
stuff, but also administrative contacts who wind up in the record
because some provider put them there without telling them they've done
so, or explaining what responsibilities might come in the package.

I wouldn't mind an auto-generated message once a month or so from
internic to my listed email address sending us a copy of all the
internic records for which we're responsible and asking us to make any
changes if they are necessary.

A bounce could then be followed up by internic through more automated
processes and, finally by a real live human being (TM). Ultimately, a
bogus or non-responsive set of contacts could result in said RLHB
making the records inactive...which would certainly get the attention
of any active domain.

Internic certainly bills enough to do this...one class action suit
currently claims they're charging $35.00 of their fees for a slush
fund to generally aid the internet.

I can't think of a better way to aid the internet than to help all of
us that spend too many hours running down bogus, clueless, and broken
domains, many of which are bad on their face.

Jerry Trowbridge
--at the Flying Pig Ranch