Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(November 1997)

Subject: Re: Blocking all attachments
From: Vince Sabio <vince @ humournet . com>
Date: Wed, 19 Nov 1997 02:11:14 -0500
To: List-Managers @ GreatCircle . COM

** Sometime around 23:10 -0500 11/18/97, Adam Bailey said:

>The problem is, attachments are not really a standard. The way they're
>handled can vary from mailer to mailer, and from gateway to gateway.

Maybe the way they're *handled* can vary, but the attachments, themselves,
are *very* standard, for the most part.

Otherwise, they wouldn't be "attachments," they'd be "incomprehensible
body text," right? ;-)

>Message aize limits are a much more certain way to deal with attachments.

Message size limits have their, uh, *limits*, as well. Overall, I think
that *line count* limits are the LEAST effective way to deal with the
horrid beasts (yet they work tolerably well). I'm right now setting up
an experiment in Lyris -- on a "live" list -- to test its ability to
reject a broad range of attachments, with a nice little message back to
the sender. We'll see how it goes ...

Vince Sabio            Boy & His Sabre: <http://www.insane.net/TSC/Vince/>
vince@humournet.com       HumourNet: <http://www.humournet.com/HumourNet/>
                               Stop Internet Spam! <http://www.cauce.org/>

Behind every successful man               Behind every successful man is a
is a surprised woman                            woman with expensive taste
-- Maryon Pearson                                           -- Vince Sabio