Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(November 1997)

Subject: Disclaimers
From: claire @ siberia . demon . co . uk (Claire McNab)
Date: Wed, 19 Nov 1997 21:37:33 +0000 (GMT)
To: List-Managers @ GreatCircle . COM

One of the users on one of my lists has just posted a mesage which
refers to a 3rd party in pretty hostile terms, which I fear could be
used as grounds for legal action for defamation if the 3rd party was
so minded.  I think this is hihghly unlikely, but it has made think
about the need for a policy for the future.

The list is unmoderated (though subscriptions are approved), so there
is no way that any pre-censorship can be imposed.  However, I do delete
obvious chaff from the web archives of the list, so I'm getting a
friendly lawyer to advise me on the merits of keeping this thread out
of the archives.

Anyway, the whole thing has reminded me that I should have some sort
of diclaimer in the footers, something to the effect that posts
reflect the view of individuals and not of the organisation on whose
behalf I help to run the list.  I'm sure that others have been here
before: can anyone offer any suggestions on a reasonably terse but
informative wording?

Thanks!
Claire

--
Claire McNab -- Claire@siberia.demon.co.uk

Follow-Ups:
Indexed By Date Previous: Re: Blocking all attachments