Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(December 1997)

Subject: Re: Clueless subscribers?
From: Chuq Von Rospach <chuqui @ plaidworks . com>
Date: Wed, 3 Dec 1997 18:32:17 -0800
To: Mitch Collinsworth <mkc @ Graphics . Cornell . EDU>, claire @ siberia . demon . co . uk (Claire McNab)
Cc: List-Managers @ GreatCircle . COM, mkc @ broccoli . graphics . cornell . edu

At 9:45 AM -0800 12/3/97, Mitch Collinsworth wrote:

> Oh great.  There are too many different uns*b mechanisms out there and
> people are getting being confused by it, so your solution is to invent
> yet another one.  Yah, I follow that logic.  (not)

And your problem with that is....

I mean, as long as you also support the common formats, adding a new,
improved, easier one as an optional interface is a pretty darn good
idea. Just don't jetison the old ones arbitrarily. You never know -- by
trying something new, you might end up replacing the old ones
eventually with something better.

I use "foo-sub" and "foo-unsub" addresses on my lists, and they work
great. So does my web pages that interface to those beasts. But I don't
use them as my ONLY interfaces, so if people know how to use standard
majordomo, they don't get hosed. But I see no reason to force people to
learn those things if they don't want to, and I can create a "new user"
interface to help them out.

The trick, of course, isn't to freeze things indefinitely, or to break
things arbitrarily, but to find ways to help empower the newer, less
experienced users WITHOUT getting in the way of the power user. Cater
to both -- it's not a crime. Just more work on the developer's part,
but then, isn't that why I'm here?

--
         Chuq Von Rospach (chuq@apple.com) Apple IS&T Mail List Gnome
                 <http://www.solutions.apple.com/ListAdmin/>