Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(December 1997)

Subject: Re: Juno.COM
From: "David W. Tamkin" <dattier @ miso . wwa . com>
Date: Wed, 10 Dec 1997 09:47:06 -0600 (CST)
To: cnorman @ best . com
Cc: list-managers @ GreatCircle . COM

When I wrote,

|    If there are more than one juno.com address on an envelope, and one Juno
|    user is over quota, Juno refuses to deliver to any of the remaining
|    addresses on the envelope, so those subscribers don't get their mail;

Cyndi Norman asked for more detail,

| Does this mean that if one person on a mailing list from juno.com has a
| full mailbox that no one else from juno.com who is on the list will get
| that post?  Or does this only apply to named addresses?

I don't know what Cyndi meant by "named addresses" -- it seems to me that
all addresses have to be named.

It works like this: if a post comes off your list to juno.com with two or
more juno.com addresses as envelope recipients, Juno will deliver until it
runs into one that is over quota; then it will defer that one and *all* those
after it.  Sometimes here in anago.wwa.com's mail queue I've seen the
deferred addresses tried again in reverse order, and then those listed later
on the envelope might get delivered.  But if there are two addresses over
quota on the envelope, those and all addresses between them will keep getting
deferred and retried.

Juno used to report failure after five days of deferral, and WWA used to kick
undelivered items in its mail queues back to their senders after five days,
but neither seems to be happening any more.

I've taken to sending each subscriber on Juno a separate delivery.  It may be
inefficient in theory for the first delivery attempt but in the long run it
leaves fewer addresses being retried for weeks and weeks.