Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(December 1997)

Subject: Re: Clueless subscribers?
From: claire @ siberia . demon . co . uk (Claire McNab)
Date: Sun, 7 Dec 1997 23:50:02 +0000 (GMT)
To: List-Managers @ GreatCircle . COM

On  4 Dec 97 at 12:05, Mitch Collinsworth puddy cat purred:

> Chuq, your argument make sense, at least as far as it goes.  The
> biggest problem I see with inventing yet more new list management
> interfaces is that users who experience them at one site then expect
> to find them at other sites.  I.e if foo-unsub@chuq.com works, why
> doesn't foo-unsub@mitch.com work?

The thing about the foo-unsub mechanism, is that:

a) it's the most easily understood and easily used of the mechanisms
   I've seen to date;

b) It's part of a proposed standard.

The more of these things we can get standardised, the better.  Given a
choice bettwen standardising on a widely-deployed but clumsy mechanis,
(such as the "unsub" command in the msg body) and a less-widely
deployed but generally superior approach, I'd choose the latter.

I hope this proposed std gets somewhere!

--
Claire McNab -- Claire@siberia.demon.co.uk