Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(December 1997)

From: Chuq Von Rospach <chuqui @ plaidworks . com>
Date: Fri, 12 Dec 1997 00:45:42 -0800
To: bmcmullen @ zebra . net, Gary Frederick <gary . frederick @ jsoft . com>
Cc: List-Managers @ GreatCircle . COM

At 9:43 PM -0800 12/11/97, Barbara McMullen wrote:

> I think anything posted with proper credit is fine, so long as the
> author is noted. It's not like they can't read Dear Abby in any
> paper. You are not selling her work, just mailing it to people.

*bzzt*. Sorry, that's wrong.

> IMHO

Please check the laws before offering advice. On copyright, selling it
or making money off of it has nothing to do with it. If it's
copyrighted, you cannot reproduce it without permission. (I'm sure some
folks will argue fair use aspects of copyright, but if you don't even
know the basics of copyright law, please, don't startin on what is and
isn't fair use).

Unless you have permission to reproduce something, you can't reproduce
it. For the discussion at hand (posting copyrighted material), that's
pretty much it.

There are some pretty good copyright pieces out on the net. Try yahoo,
and search on copyright. Take you about five minutes.... I'd do it for
you, but it's 1AM and I have a morning meeting....

--
         Chuq Von Rospach (chuq@apple.com) Apple IS&T Mail List Gnome
                 <http://www.solutions.apple.com/ListAdmin/>

 Plaidworks Consulting (chuqui@plaidworks.com) <http://www.plaidworks.com/>