Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(December 1997)

Subject: Re: policy issue on Bcc: of list..
From: Gerald Oskoboiny <gerald @ mail . impressive . net>
Date: Sat, 13 Dec 1997 16:24:59 -0500 (EST)
To: list-managers @ greatcircle . com

On Fri, 12 Dec 1997, Michael C. Berch wrote:

> The chief mischief of Bcc'ing a list, I think, is that it defeats users'
> attempts to filter their incoming mail using list names (etc.) in well-known
> headers.  In order to stave off the need for the (IMHO ugly and annoying)
> subject-prefix for list message subject lines, I've told people that they
> shuld use a filtering program, and that the name of the list is guaranteed to
> appear in either the "To:" or "Cc:" headers.

That isn't good advice IMO; filtering on 'To' and 'Cc' will allow some
messages to slip through  the filters (such as messages that are Bcc'd,
as you noted.)

Better advice is to pick a header that's known to be reliably present
in all messages (like Sender with Majordomo lists), then provide advice
on how to filter for that header, as done in:

    http://www.hwg.org/resources/faqs/filterFAQ.html

(including advice on what software is capable of such filtering, and
what to do if you can't filter on Sender.)

Gerald
--
Gerald Oskoboiny
<gerald@impressive.net>