Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(December 1997)

Subject: Re: policy issue on Bcc: of list..
From: scs @ lokkur . dexter . mi . us (Steve Simmons)
Date: 13 Dec 1997 09:37:46 -0500
To: list-managers @ GreatCircle . COM
Newsgroups: local.list-managers

Chuq Von Rospach <chuqui@plaidworks.com> writes:

>So, would it be reasonable for mail list software to coerce a Bcc: of a
>list to a CC: in the header? At least then it'd be listed in the mail
>headers where a user will see it. I don't see any real negatives to it,
>but perhaps I'm missing something.

IMHO messing with the user-supplied headers is attempting to override
the (possibly important) user intent.  List managers should make per-list
policy of whether or not Bcc is allowed.  If it is, pass the message thru
unchanged.  If not, return it to sender with a proper error message.

  -- Steve

--
  "In a sea of tee shirts, the guy in the suit is the one who wants
something."