Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(December 1997)

From: "Manar Hussain" <manar @ ivision . co . uk>
Date: Thu, 18 Dec 1997 16:27:28 +0000
To: list-managers @ GreatCircle . com
Comments: Authenticated sender is <manarpop@[194.154.62.72]>

> From:          drjesus@iss.dccc.edu
> To:            list-managers@GreatCircle.com
> Date:          17 Dec 1997 20:28:52 EDT

> On Sun 14 Dec 97, Ronald F. Guilmette wrote:
>
> RF>I have for some time now included the following header into all of my
> RF>outgoing mail and news postings:

> RF>The question of whether or not this is binding is an interesting one.
>
>      I believe it would become even more interesting if the offender were
> to claim, truthfully, that s/he never saw the notice. There are still
> plenty of (crappy) mail programs around that automatically strip
> *all* the RFC-822 headers. One example that comes readily to mind, since
> I'm stuck with this piece of $%@# due to my ISP is WorldGroup Manager by
> Galacticomm (the perpetrators of the Major-BBS, for those who remember).
> You may, therefore, want to consider making it a .sig/body line, plainly

It is certainly true of the UK and I'm prertty sure it's also true of the
US that there is in fact no need to state your copyright - it's merely as
nice-ity. If you've got it then you've got it and it doesn't matter
whether or not you said so or if anyoen noticed. On the other hand clearly
stating with whom the copyright belongs would be helpful should it go to
court ....

Manar