Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(February 1998)

Subject: Re: "We do not relay" errors
From: jtlist @ pigsfly . com (Jerry Trowbridge)
Date: Sat, 14 Feb 1998 04:43:07 GMT
To: Jason L Tibbitts III <tibbs @ hpc . uh . edu>
Cc: list-managers @ GreatCircle . COM

On 13 Feb 1998 18:15:49 -0600, Jason L Tibbitts III <tibbs@hpc.uh.edu>
wrote:

>OK, I'm quite happy that sites are tightening up on relaying.  But it seems
>that some sites go a little to far.  Lately I've been receiving a large
>number (well, nearly 50% by volume) of bounces from various sites telling
>me that they don't relay.  Well, that's great, but the address I'm trying
>to deliver to is almost always right there in their domain, sometimes even
>on the same machine.
>Have other folks been seeing these kinds of errors, too?  Are that many
>sites just having teething pains and screwing it up the first time?  Or is
>what I'm doing really considered illegal relaying?

I have seen none of this...and I can't imagine what is prompting those
messages.

I pretty much closed down relaying at our site...and expected a bunch
of complaints but got none...

We are set up here so that we are the ultimate authority for our
domains and we will take mail for our domain even if it is for an
invalid user.

-
Jerry Trowbridge
--at Flying Pig Ranch