Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(February 1998)

Subject: Re: I've seen the light!
From: Kynn Bartlett <kynn @ idyllmtn . com>
Date: Sat, 14 Feb 1998 19:16:07 -0800
To: bish @ azstarnet . com
Cc: list-managers @ GreatCircle . COM

At 05:11 p.m. 02/14/98 +0000, Bob Bish wrote:
>   My biggest list is for owners of Hummers/Humvees.  Up until now, I've left
>it up to the individual listmember to make use of the "delete" key to skip
>threads which aren't of interest, but you have shown me how wrong this is!
>   I have now declared that discussions of a Hummer's engine are irrelevant.
>We are too busy discussing the transmission, transfer case, differentials,
>suspension, etc. to waste our time looking at questions pertaining to the
>engine!

Dude, if you're going to be a list owner, learn how to follow
the list's (written or unwritten) charter, and don't whine like
a stuck pig when you're referred to the correct forum.

No one gives a damn what you do on your hypothetical hummer list.
However, this list, list-managers, is not the same kind of list as
yours.  Your analogy is flawed (as you seem to be), since a more
appropriate comparison would be:

     Hi, welcome to the four-wheel list!  This list is for talking
     about fun ways to use our four wheel drive cars, socializing
     between other 4WD owners, and discussing issues such as where
     enjoy our hobby and what we like about it.  We ask that list
     users keep questions specific to certain makes of cars, such
     as how to repair a Hummer or the internal workings of a Bronco,
     off the list and on one of the many lists devoted specifically
     to those makes/models of automobile.  The four-wheel list is a
     general list, and so we ask that you post messages of interest
     to a general audience -- thanks for your cooperation!

Now, hopefully that's in terms you can understand.

If not, and you don't see why your whining on list-managers is
pretty damn pathetic, I'm afraid there may be _no_ hope for you,
my friend.

--
   _ __                  *   Owner, Idyll Mountain Internet
  | / / _ _ ._ _ ._ _    *   Web Manager, Claremont Graduate Univ.
  |  \ | | || ' || ' |   *   President, HTML Writers Guild
  |_\_\`_. ||_|_||_|_|   *   Postmaster, MLists.com
       <___'             *   Co-Coordinator, Virtual Dog Show
    kynn@idyllmtn.com    *   Opera Web Browser Evangelist:
 www.idyllmtn.com/~kynn  *     http://www.operasoftware.com/

From: Kynn Bartlett <kynn@idyllmtn.com>
Next: Re: NEW: ml-owners - Mailing List Owner's Discussion Group
From: Kynn Bartlett <kynn@idyllmtn.com>
Indexed By Thread Previous: Re: I've seen the light!
From: Chuq Von Rospach <chuqui@plaidworks.com>
Next: Re: I've seen the light!
From: richardm@cd.com (Richard Masoner)