Subject: Typhoon.bom
From: Per Starback <starback @ stp . ling . uu . se>
Date: 01 Apr 1998 18:30:20 +0100
To: List-Managers @ GreatCircle . COM

Sometimes malicious people subscribe their victims to lots of mailing
lists to mail bomb them.  It seems like one of my mailing lists has
for some time been used this way in a very consistent way, but I
haven't seen anyone else mention this.  Are other people not
experiencing the same as I am?

The subscription messages I receive all have the following in common:

* They are forgeries that have claimed that they are sent from
"Typhoon.bom".  A typical received line looks like this:

* They are all phrased the same way with just two parameters changing:

>  Hi,
>    I am very interested in this mailing list and would like to
>  subscribe
>  My name is <name> and my e-mail address is <address>
>
>  Thank you,
>
>  <name>

Has anyone else been the victim of this?  I suspect it's not just one
individual who is doing all of this, but that it is some "cool"
program to mail bomb people circulating, but I'm not sure.  Any leads?

--
Per Starback <starback@stp.ling.uu.se> <http://www.update.uu.se/~starback/>
 "Life is but a gamble!  Let flipism chart your ramble!"