From: "Woodrick, Ed" <ewoodrick @ ed-com . com>
Date: Mon, 6 Apr 1998 23:52:41 -0400
To: "'List-Managers @ GreatCircle . COM'" <List-Managers @ GreatCircle . COM>

Title: RE: HTML-enabled mailing lists

Dave,

HTML starts to give you methods of better expressing yourself, one of the biggest problems in electronic messaging. It's a next step beyond the incredibly stupid utilization of punctuation for expression. ;-)  If you were to see a HTML exchange between people, I think that you would be rather surprised at the value. First, just the included text operation. Some HTML mailers put a horizontal bar down the left side and change the color/format of the reply text. It makes it significantly easier to read than the > characters that get so confusing when there have been five or six replies.

A choice of font (type, size, and color) can give a unique representation of a person, just like a voice does. Emphasis is so much easier with the ability to italicize or make characters bold. In longer messages, setting subject headings in larger text can ease reading.

If black and white courier 12 point text is so great, then why are there no more courier 12 point printers any more? I put my daisy wheel printer away many years ago. Most of my printed correspondence is now in color.

If you don't give a new technology a place to incubate, it will never grow, or at least it won't grow on your turf. Sure, you might think it is weed, but a worthless bread mold did change the path of modern medicine.

Ed Woodrick