Subject: Re: Database & E-mail integration capabilities in Win NT/IIS/FP97/98.
From: Dave Voorhis <dave @ armchair . mb . ca>
Date: Mon, 13 Apr 1998 17:13:34 -0500
To: Sanjay Arora <sk @ pobox . com>
Cc: List-Managers @ GreatCircle . COM

At 01:45 AM 4/14/98 +0500, Sanjay Arora wrote:

>Thanks for the critique..I guess I deserved that ;). It IS a big amount of
>server overhead! Can it really not be implemented as a virtual server?

That depends on the capacity of the box doing the hosting, the MTA
software, and the available bandwidth.

>What should I look for..a leased server? What kind of resources? OS
>suggestions, keeping in mind, I wish to use something like Frontpage/Cold
>Fusion, to ease the programming of the site. Or should I go in for HTML/CGI
>programming directly..CGI WOULD be CPU intensive.

I wouldn't think the HTTP issues would be significantly relevant to the
mail issues.  You might need to explore that separately.

You'll want to use qmail or another MTA that is designed to maximize
throughput.  Sendmail is inadequate for this.  Qmail runs under most UNIX
and UNIX-like OS's.

UNIX environments are generally more flexible and provide greater options
for customization than, say, Windows NT.  That doesn't mean you might not
want to use NT on the Web server and a UNIX on the mail server, however.

>Please do help me. Beginners with tall ideas, do need a lot of help, All
>they can get, in fact.

Perhaps it's not my place to suggest this, but I'd recommend partnering
(unless you can afford to hire) with someone (perhaps an ISP) with the
technical knowledge, experience, and ambition to bring your idea to
fruition.  Otherwise, by the time you've finished poking around the 'net
looking for the answers, someone else will have implemented your idea.

Dave Voorhis
mailto:dave@armchair.mb.ca
http://www.armchair.mb.ca/~dave