Subject: Seeking recommendations for listmailing software
From: Chris Newman <cnewman @ mci2000 . com>
Date: Fri, 10 Apr 1998 16:54:04 -0700
To: List-Managers @ GreatCircle . COM

We want to be able to offer our website visitors the opportunity to subscribe
to any of, perhaps, dozens of moderated discussion lists. We need to be able to
create new lists on demand, without having to bug a human to manually set up
each one.

The challenge is that no one here is sharp on listmailers. We have plenty of
UNIX and sysadmin talent who can set up any software, but unfortunately, I'm
not one of them, so I'm groping in the dark to find the listmailing software
which we need. The moderators, while dedicated on their respective topics, are
complete novices at wrangling mailing lists.

As near as I can tell, we need to have GUI's (web page interfaces) for all
functions, including admin, moderating and subscribe functions. A GUI for
moderating would be optional if the procedure wasn't that difficult to learn. A
bonus challenge is that we also need the ability to have headers and footers
automatically inserted into outgoing digests and be able to do that with a GUI,
too.

We are currently running qmail to send a single newsletter to one large list,
but from what I can tell, this isn't going to cut it for the new discussion
lists feature. I could be wrong.

Is there a particular program or suite of programs which you would recommend
and where can we find it? As an extra-special bonus challenge, since we have no
money, it needs to be freeware.

Many thanks in advance.

Chris Newman.

Follow-Ups:
Indexed By Date Previous: RE: HTML in lists