Subject: spam definition (was Re: New List/webbers.com)
From: Jason Rasku <jrasku @ ArmispianSystems . Rossland . bc . ca>
Date: Tue, 14 Apr 1998 22:50:25 -0700 (PDT)
To: list-managers @ GreatCircle . COM

	The standard definition that I use for spam is that it is
unsolicited, bulk mail or posting.  If I were to send a message out to
each person that posts to a list that I am subscribed to it would be spam.
If the list is set up to acknowledge the posts, the response would not be
spam.  The same goes with an vacation program.  If my vacation program
catches all list postings, then it is spam.  If it only catches messages
directed at me personally it is not.  It may not be very easy to determine
if a message is spam or not, but generally I feel that if it is
unsolicited, it almost certainly is spam.  Sometimes you don't realise
that you asked for something mind you.
	Auto-responders that are set up to respond to direct mail are not
spam producers, mind you, they can be used to mail-bomb, or spam a person.
Auto-responders that grab addresses from messages not directed at the
auto-responder itself are spam producers.
	I have probably said the same thing many, times here, and could
have cut down on what I have said, but I didn't so I guess that is
something that will have to be dealt with when it is...

						Jason Rasku

--
Jason Rasku, Box 270, Rossland, B.C., V0G 1Y0, (250) 362-5701,
LinuxBox: (250) 362-9668.

Web pages of Interest:
Madness: <http://www.madnation.org/> <http://www.efn.org/~dendron>
Fibre: <http://kootweb.com/trillium/trrasku/trrasku.html>
Spirituality:

ICQ 6375239

Quigley's Law:
	Whoever has any authority over you, no matter how small, will
atttempt to use it.