Subject: Re: Bounce Handler
From: Christopher Samuel <C . Samuel @ eris . dera . gov . uk>
Date: Wed, 22 Apr 1998 11:44:18 +0100
To: Takashi Tokunaga <taka-tok @ digital-magic . co . jp>
Cc: List-Managers @ GreatCircle . COM

In message <199804211126.UAA22601@yebisu.digital-magic.co.jp>,
	Takashi Tokunaga <taka-tok@digital-magic.co.jp> writes:

> I'd like to ask for help handling bounced mails with various MTA.
>
> I'm maintain mail server (Qmail 1.01 + FreeBSD 2.2.5) which sends about
> 10,000 mail messages per day upon request.  (Not spam, only by request : )
[...]
> Problem I'm having now is since different MTA returns different error
> messages, I can't do the same for outside errors. (ie, user's mail
> address has changed... mailbox is full....).

Sounds like something that Qmail's VERP's (Variable Envelope Return Paths)
could help with, have a read of:

	ftp://koobera.math.uic.edu/www/proto/verp.txt

and read your qmail docs about how to implement them. At least this way
you'd know exactly what subscriber had done something to trigger the
bounce message in question.. ;-)

cheers!
Chris
--
 Christopher Samuel        +44 1684 894644        C.Samuel@eris.dera.gov.uk
 N-115,  Defence Evaluation & Research Agency, St Andrews Road, Malvern, UK