Subject: Re: Domain Name Administrator, What protection if any?
From: Manar Hussain <manar @ ivision . co . uk>
Date: Tue, 28 Apr 1998 17:26:04 +0100
To: List-Managers @ GreatCircle . COM

>My previous provider suggested I get a domain name, via internic,
>with set-up and annual fees, I did.   Denar.com was created.
>
>My mailing list provider took the fees, then gave 30 days notice
>that his mailing-list provider is ceasing operation after about
>one year of operating.  Any message now sent to denar@denar.com,
>and all the established addresses @denar.com are fatal errored,
>with no responsibility taken from the dumpee!  At least shouldn't
>arrangements have been made to forward denar.com e-mail??
>
>What does a list owner do in this situation?

The advice on getting your own domain was sound - the reasons why that is
the case were clearly not made clear. The domain is your and thus you can
have it hosted where you choose. The main value is thus that none of your
list *addresses* need change when you move ISP. It doesn't mean that you
will never have to move ISP, that remains the same as before - if you
decide you would prefer the service elsewhere then move.

What you probably do is find someone you like who can give you the desired
service (host your domain and handle mailing lists in it), have the domain
moved to them (you should not be charged for this) and the lists set up asap.

BTW - on the information above, it does seem that you have been treated
very poorly. Most people cancelling services will give people time to find
an alternative supplier.

Manar