From: "Ronald F. Guilmette" <rfg @ monkeys . com>
Date: Tue, 28 Apr 1998 11:02:59 -0700
To: list-managers @ GreatCircle . COM (List Managers)

In message <199804281320.IAA03429@celery.tssi.com>, nolan@tssi.com wrote:

>Ron, I'm sure that's very efficient, and I hope you take similar steps
>to deal with undesirable behavior in the rest of your life, like using
>a squirt gun on smokers, taking candy out of the hands of babies, calling
>the store manager if someone is in the express lane at the supermarket with
>more than 12 items, etc.

What's wrong with babies having candy??

(Regarding express checkout lines, I was standing in one recently and two
women behind me were discussing some incident which, apparently, had been
in the newspapers recently, in which someone actually _shot_ someone who
was ahead of them in one of these express checkout lines and who had too
many items. No... it wasn't me. :-)

>What is it about the online community that causes people who are presumably
>intelligent and at least somewhat civilized to behave like total louts,

I often wonder that exact thing.  I especially wonder about it each time
some lout of a list admin allows me to be forge-subscribed to a non-
confirming mailing list he/she is running.

>just because they've been inconvenienced by some other puerile jerk?

Actually, it takes the cooperation of at least _two_ puerile jerks to get
one's self forge-subscribed onto a non-confirming mailing list... the net-
hooligan who does the subscription forging, _and_ also at least one bone-
headed list admin who sets up a mailing list without the foggiest idea of
how to actually run one properly.

>I think we should all do Ron a favor and put his address on the reject list
>for our lists, just so he isn't inconvenienced further.  I assure you it
>is going on mine.

If you are one of the innumerable boneheads who is running a mailing list
whose subscription protocol fails to include an requirement for affirmative
reply/confirmation on (alleged) new subscription requests, then by all means,
please *DO* put me on your reject list.  I would appreciate it greatly.  In
fact please put all of the monkeys.com and e-scrub.com domains on your reject
lists.  I and my domains get enough spam as it is.  Thanks.

-- Ron Guilmette, Roseville, California ---------- E-Scrub Technologies, Inc.
-- Deadbolt(tm) Personal E-Mail Filter demo: http://www.e-scrub.com/deadbolt/
-- Wpoison (web harvester poisoning) - demo: http://www.e-scrub.com/wpoison/