From: Jason Rasku <jrasku @ ArmispianSystems . Rossland . bc . ca>
Date: Thu, 30 Apr 1998 12:03:55 -0700 (PDT)
To: "Ronald F. Guilmette" <rfg @ monkeys . com>
Cc: list-managers @ GreatCircle . COM

On Thu, 30 Apr 1998, Ronald F. Guilmette wrote:

> >True... but many of the most valuable lists on the internet are run by
> >people who are not knowledgeable about the technical aspects of proper
> >mailing-list set-up.
>
> Name three.

	Three?  I could name 100 if you really wanted that, but to start
off there is the madness family (aproximately 15 lists), the SCI family,
(4 lists), most disability lists (hundreds of lists), most queer lists
(again hundreds of lists).  I know you only asked for three, but I gave
you aproximately 20 that I know for sure, and, probably close to a
thousand other lists.

> hooligans, it is more and more clear all the time that the day-to-day me-
> chanics of the _administration_ of a mailing list is something which, for
> all our sakes, is best left in the hands of people well versed in _that_
> specialty.  I mean let's face it... there _are_ many case in everyday life

	Most of us, have picked up our list admin skills not from some
technical manual, but from actualy admininstrating a list.  Quite often
this is a matter of having some limited technical background in computers,
and some knowledge that is worth having a mailing list for.  What you
apear to be sugesting is that only people with a ``cectificate of list
admininstration'' be granted the right to run a list.  Of those 20 lists
that I mentioned above, they are almost all really well run, but they
would not be running at all if there needed to be a qualified list admin.

> OK.  Give me a different word then.  What do _you_ call it when someone gives
> _both_ the keys to the car _and_ the keys to the liquor cabinet to a group
> of teenagers on a Saturday night?  As far as I'm concerned, when list admins
> setup things so that they are blindly accepting forged subscriptions, that
> is almost the same thing.

	Many lists that I belong to do not have confirmation on them.
This could be a concious decison by the list admin, or it could be an
oversite.  I would not call the people as SIRS Mandarin incompetent.
Maybe lacking some knowledge as to the dangers of having open
subscriptions.  But they also have some knowledge of the technical level
of some of their subscribers, knowing that many of them would most likely
not be on the list if it were not for the fact that it IS an open
subscription.

> Just because _I_ have sufficient skills to protect myself from all of the
> miscreants and incompetents on the entire global Internet, that does not
> mean that the rest of our online society is similarly fortunate.  I worry
> about all of the rest of you as much as I worry about me, and the Right
> Place to stop stupidity is as close to the source as possible... *before*
> its effects leak out all over the planet.  (My years in the spam wars have
> taught me this lesson all too well.)

	My years in the spam wars have taught me one thing that I think
you are yet to learn.  The most efficient way to deal with messages you do
not want is quietly, without the person on the other end even knowing.  I
have halfed my spam by NOT replying to any spam message.  I wouldn't be
surprised if you halfed your forged subscriptions if you were not an
asshole to people who have cost you a small inconvinience.

						Jason Rasku

--
Jason Rasku, Box 270, Rossland, B.C., V0G 1Y0, (250) 362-5701,
LinuxBox: (250) 362-9668.

Web pages of Interest:
Madness: <http://www.madnation.org/> <http://www.efn.org/~dendron>
Fibre: <http://kootweb.com/trillium/trrasku/trrasku.html>
Spirituality:

ICQ 6375239

UH-OH!!  I put on "GREAT HEAD-ON TRAIN COLLISIONS of the 50's" by
mistake!!!