From: Jeff Wasilko <jeffw @ smoe . org>
Date: Thu, 30 Apr 1998 19:41:52 -0400
To: list-managers @ GreatCircle . COM

On Thu, Apr 30, 1998 at 05:12:50PM -0600, Lazlo Nibble wrote:
> the mailing list *site* admins who a) set up lists with a default configuration
> that is broken from Day One and who b) don't bother making people read the
> list software documentation before actually handing over the reins.  The
> "clueless newbies" who don't know how to change their list configurations to
> prevent open subscriptions are unlikely to be changing their list
> configurations to inadvertently allow them if they're given a default config
> that requires subscription verification.

I agree. We host about 45 lists here, with listowners ranging
from complete newbies to seasoned veterans.

I try to pair up 'newbies' with veterans, so that they have a
resource available. I also set minimum requirements, like
requiring that all lists use confirmation, that all lists be
hidden from the 'which' command, and that bounces be dealt with
quickly.

Confirmation and hiding the lists are defaults when I create the
list.

Site owners play an important role in preventing list abuse...

Jeff