Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(May 1998)

From: Rich Kulawiec <rsk@@>
Date: Wed, 29 Apr 1998 17:26:09 -0400
To: list-managers @ GreatCircle . COM

On Wed, Apr 29, 1998 at 07:20:47AM -0400, murr rhame wrote:
> As long as we are asking pertinent questions, what is the purpose of
> yet another list managers mailing list?  I am subscribed to two
> general purpose listowners lists already and I know of several more.

I have noticed this phenomena recurring with increasing frequency
over the last year or so: there are now at least half a dozen "web manager"
mailing lists, a handful of "list manager" mailng lists, and I"m sure
there are other redundant ones as well.

This serves no one: it simply fragments the community while compelling
those who want (or *need*) to be apprised of developments to subscribe
to multiple lists instead of just one -- and then to deal with duplicate
traffic and overlapping discussions among them.  Yet the proponents of
new lists seem blissfully unaware of this (which raises the question
"If you can't find the existing list-manager's mailing list, do you
in fact have enough clues to start another one?").   They tend to react
with hostility to the suggestion that someone else Got There First
and that they should cheerfully support their efforts rather than
striking out on their own.

Grumpily,
---Rsk
Rich Kulawiec
rsk@gsp.org

Indexed By Date Previous: AOL and web links