Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(June 1998)

Subject: Re: Finding A Listowner
From: Chuq Von Rospach <chuqui @ plaidworks . com>
Date: Thu, 11 Jun 1998 21:01:20 -0700
To: Bill Bogstad <bogstad @ pobox . com>, Chuq Von Rospach <chuqui @ plaidworks . com>
Cc: List-Managers @ GreatCircle . COM

At 7:16 PM -0700 6/11/98, Bill Bogstad wrote:

> 	Before changing one of the dimensions of a system consider what the
> subtle effects might be on how people will use it.  I don't think
>it's obvious
> and would suggest doing this by comparing paired technologies that only vary
> in that dimension.

It's not obvious. I've been working on various aspects of it for over a
year now, in fact, putting together future plans for Apple. it's
definitely not something you can just throw e-mail out on a list and
have a definitive answer over.

It's also, though, not something I'm at liberty to go into detail on at
this time, but I did want to note that these aren't exactly new
concepts for me, and I'm not exactly talking off the cuff. A good
amount of work has been done looking at how users use this stuff, how
they'd like to, what the technologies are good at (and bad at), and how
they might well interact. And it's starting to go from whiteboard
babble to actual "stuff". There's at least one commercial group working
on this stuff, too, and if it does what I think it'll do, it'll be a
kicker.

It wasn't so long ago that ascii files, gopher and ftp was "good
enough" for sharing files and information. Now look. And the changes
that drove that paradigm shift are starting to work into other
technologies as well. Mail lists are, and will continue to be, an
important part of the strategy, but not the only one, or even a key
one. It's the old hammer/nail thing again. Spend most of your time with
a hammer in your hand, and you think everything's a nail.

My job at one level is to build the toolbox, but at a more basic level,
I'm architecting the house that the users will live in... And the users
don't care about hammers or screwdrivers or saws, or whether it's nails
or screws or glue. They care that the house is livable and well-built.

--
Chuq Von Rospach (Hockey fan? <http://www.plaidworks.com/hockey/>)
Plaidworks Consulting (mailto:chuqui@plaidworks.com)