Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(June 1998)

Subject: Re: Finding A Listowner
From: "Roger B.A. Klorese" <rogerk @ QueerNet . ORG>
Date: Thu, 11 Jun 1998 11:13:46 -0700 (PDT)
To: Chuq Von Rospach <chuqui @ plaidworks . com>
Cc: Jason L Tibbitts III <tibbs @ hpc . uh . edu>, List-Managers @ GreatCircle . COM

On Thu, 11 Jun 1998, Chuq Von Rospach wrote:
> >No, it means you shouldn't estimate your driving time based on best road
> >conditions, but rather, on near-WORST road conditions.
>
> Disagree (still). To beat the analogy into a pulp, you should estimate your
> driving time based on realistic road conditions -- no sense planning for
> near-worst road conditions, really. I can't see carrying chains to Reno in
> July, just in case a blizzard rolls in and closes Truckie pass.

OK, try "pessimistic rational assumptions."  "30-50% of all subscription
attempts will need manual assistance" is pessimistic but rational.
--
ROGER B.A. KLORESE     rogerk@QueerNet.ORG     urgent: rogerk-page@QueerNet.ORG
2215-R Market Street #576         San Francisco, CA 94114       +1 415 ALL-ARFF