Subject: Re: Some thoughts on user validation....
From: msokolov @ blackwidow . soml . cwru . edu (Michael Sokolov)
Date: Fri, 24 Jul 98 08:49:37 -0400
To: list-managers @ greatcircle . com

Mike Nolan <nolan@celery.tssi.com> wrote:
> We require new drivers to demonstrate some minimal competence behind the
> wheel before giving them a license, at times I have to wonder if some
> kind of minimal computer competency test shouldn't be necessary before
> giving them a mouse, keyboard, and modem.

What we really need is a law that requires anyone operating computing machinery
of any kind to have a valid computer operator's license. The penalty for
operating computing machinery without one must be at least 10 years of
imprisonment and possibly as severe as firing squad. Licenses must be given
only to those people who demonstrate general literacy, acceptable mathematical
skills, and a reasonable knowledge of computer engineering and science. The
process should be as follows: First one applies for a temporary license. He/she
must pass the general literacy, mathematics, and theoretical computer eng. and
sci. tests to get one. A temporary license is valid only for a relatively short
term and allows one to operate computing machinery only under supervision of at
least one person with a full license. One uses it to learn the practical
hands-on aspects of computing and pass the practical portion of the test needed
to get a full license.

Sincerely,
Michael Sokolov
Phone: 216-368-6888 (Office) 440-449-0299 (Home) 216-217-2579 (Cellular)
ARPA Internet SMTP mail: msokolov@blackwidow.cwru.edu

Follow-Ups:
Indexed By Date Previous: Re: Some thoughts on user validation....