Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(January 1999)

Subject: Spam Police
From: Ivan Pope <ivan @ netnames . com>
Date: Sat, 30 Jan 1999 15:03:40 +0000
To: nolan @ tssi . com
Cc: List-Managers @ GreatCircle . COM

At 15:47 29/01/99 -0600, you wrote:
>Ivan Pope wrote:
>
>> Do you try to stop the USP posting to Direct Mail users?
>
>I continue to assert that the comparison to bulk mailers is not proper,
>and that the economics of the Internet are not structured correctly and
>actually encourage spamming.

What I meant was, do you try and stop people _sending mail back to_ Direct
Mail users? Because that's what the effect of blackholing companies for
having a 'drop-box' used by a 'spammer' is.
So, does anyone stand outside the offices of a Direct Mail company and try
to stop the post being delivered? Or burn their offices down to stop all
their business? Or threaten to burn them down unless they change their way
of doing business? Because, that's the effect of the Vixie RBL system - its
blackmail.
If you did it with the post you'd get arrested.
There is an issue of free speech here btw.
Ivan

Follow-Ups:
Indexed By Date Previous: Re: Yet another virus alert