Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(January 1999)

Subject: Re: Spam Police
From: Kyle <kyle @ mgsw3 . jpl . nasa . gov>
Date: Sat, 30 Jan 1999 17:13:19 -0800
To: list-managers @ greatcircle . com

At 04:32 PM 1/30/99 -0500, murr wrote:
>> Your right of free speech, by the way, does not include the right
>> to use my press -- which is what spamming effectively does.
>
>Yup.  Put another way, you have the right to speak.  You don't have
>the right to hijack a captive audience and force them to listen.
>Same principle applies to off-topic posts on some mailing lists.
>

>- murr -

And, lest we forget, the right to free speech only guarantees that the
government won't pass laws or take actions to directly inhibit your ability
to express an opinion.  That means the government won't interfere with you
right to say what you want, but it doesn't mean others can't decide to
limit what things they wish to hear/read.  At least in this country.

Kyle
My opinions are my own an are in no way influenced by aliens.