Subject: Re: Size of HTML vs plaintext
From: Rich Kulawiec <rsk @ gsp . org>
Date: Mon, 1 Mar 1999 09:08:26 -0500
To: list-managers @ GreatCircle . COM

On Sun, Feb 28, 1999 at 04:53:22PM -0800, Chuq Von Rospach wrote:
> My question is -- does it really matter? Adding 20% to a 2K text
> message just doesn't bother me.

Nor does it matter very much to me.  However, as I described earlier,
I routinely see documents which are 1000% larger.  (I'll start trying
to keep track of what they are, where they come from, and what tool
(if known) generated them.)

> Esthetically, it's unclean. From a practical or technical standpoint,
> isn't this all just statistically insiginificant?

No, it's not.  Depending on who you ask (and the methodology they
use to study the issue) mail is one of the primary consumers of
bandwidth, disk space, CPU cycles, and other resources.

> If people are worried about bandwidth usage, why
> aren't they fighting things like usenet's binary distributions, where
> you might actually make a ripple in the usage patterns of the net?

I am.  Have been for some considerable time.

---Rsk
Rich Kulawiec
rsk@gsp.org

Indexed By Date Previous: Re: List problems on AOL?