Subject: Re: Beta site at Topica
From: Rich Kulawiec <rsk @ gsp . org>
Date: Tue, 2 Mar 1999 09:20:20 -0500
To: Alex Guerrero <alex @ get . topica . com>
Cc: list-managers @ GreatCircle . COM

On Tue, Feb 16, 1999 at 07:29:21AM -0800, Alex Guerrero wrote:
> from the web interface.  From your messages on list-managers, I understand
> you are opposed to third parties offering this service, [...]

Yes, I am.  If I wanted a web interface, I'm perfectly capable of
constructing one and deploying it.  I might even do that at some point.

But I don't -- at least not at the moment -- and I think it's the height
of arrogance and presumptuousness on the part of topica or anyone else
(I don't mean to single y'all out) to presume that I do.  What you
are calling a "service" I call a self-serving pain in the ass.

As far as I can tell, your entire business model is built on the premise
that *you* can profit from my mailing lists and their participants,
as well as from other mailing lists and their participants.  I find this
offensively greedy as well as in direct conflict with the spirit of
open participation, and I do not wish to be associated with it in any way.

So let me just make it clear: you are DIRECTED to cease and any all
archiving activities involving lists run through gsp.org; any content
currently on your site must be removed.  (In fact, all such lists contain
an explicit compilation copyright in my name, which is there for just
such an occasion.)  You are further informed that all messages from
me personally, regardless of what mailing list they are sent to, are
copyrighted under the terms of the Berne convention and may not be
reproduced on your site without my express permission.

---Rsk
Rich Kulawiec
rsk@gsp.org

Follow-Ups:
Indexed By Date Previous: Re: Topica-Dot-Com Open For Business