Subject: Re: Topica-Dot-Com Open For Business
From: Michelle Dick <artemis @ rahul . net>
Date: Tue, 02 Mar 99 15:39:08 -0800
To: List-Managers @ GreatCircle . COM

Victor wrote:

> Am I to understand that even though you don't intend to "make a
> profit'on this, that you have some objection to someone else making
> a profit?  Why?  I understand that this question is off topic for
> the list, but there seems to be a lot of animosity towards the
> thought of anyone ELSE making money.

It's not an objection to profit or making money per se, it's an
objection to someone else using something I own to make money.

Private property rights apply equally to for-profit and non-profit
enterprises and exercising those rights (by legally restricting use of
the private property) does not mean that the for-profit agency is
showing animosity toward charity nor that the non-profit agency is
showing animosity toward making money.

I bet if NBC asked PBS if they could use all their shows for free and
broadcast them with interspersed commercials that PBS would say "no
way".  Is that "animosity towards the thought of anyone ELSE making
money?"

--
Michelle Dick       artemis@rahul.net       East Palo Alto, CA