Subject: Re: Topica-Dot-Com Open For Business
From: SRE <eckert @ climber . org>
Date: Tue, 02 Mar 1999 21:52:08 -0800
To: Rich Kulawiec <rsk @ gsp . org>
Cc: List-Managers @ GreatCircle . COM

At 08:39 AM 3/1/99 -0500, Rich Kulawiec wrote:
>Absolutely correct.  This is well down the slippery slope to the completely
>unethical and indefensible tactics that spammers use.

I got one today... from topica. Is this a coincidence? Probably?
Full text is below. It appears to be bulk mail, not using my name
(which is available if you read the list charter). It was sent to
a generic address and not my personal address. It states that it
was sent unsolicited. It tells me I'm already included but I have
the option of opting out.

At least now we're talking about a specific example.

At 05:21 PM 3/2/99 -0500, Rich Kulawiec wrote:
>Yes, I do.
>Because the mailing lists are partially my work (the labor of setting
>them up, maintaining them, etc.) and partially the work of the subscribers
>(all of the contributed material except for the articles that I write).

Exactly. Well said. Every work currently produced in the US is
copyrighted even if it is not marked that way... and it's just
not right to make a profit off work that was not intended for
sale by the person now making a profit. It doesn't matter if
the creator of the work intended to profit.

SRE