Subject: Re: Topica-Dot-Com Open For Business
From: Dave Sill <de5-list-managers @ sws5 . ctd . ornl . gov>
Date: Wed, 3 Mar 1999 08:26:07 -0500 (EST)
To: List-Managers @ GreatCircle . COM

"Victor A. Wagner, Jr." <vawjr@rudbek.com> wrote:
>At Tuesday 3/2/99 15:39, Michelle Dick wrote:
>>
>>It's not an objection to profit or making money per se, it's an
>>objection to someone else using something I own to make money.
>
>That you own this something is not at question.

Sure it is. It's not at all clear that list owners own the content
posted to their lists. They own the "compilation", but not the actual
content.

Selling advertisements on a list archive is, from the point of view of
a poster, "someone else using something I own to make money"--unless
the list owner makes it clear up front that submissions become her
property.

-Dave