Subject: Re: Topica-Dot-Com Open For Business
From: Rich Kulawiec <rsk @ gsp . org>
Date: Thu, 4 Mar 1999 08:48:17 -0500
To: Michelle Dick <artemis @ rahul . net>, List-Managers @ GreatCircle . COM

On Wed, Mar 03, 1999 at 12:20:31PM -0800, Michelle Dick wrote:
> Owning the compilation means that you control the use of the
> collection.  You cannot go out and sell an individual posting
> seperate from the rest of the others, but you can use the group of
> them, and say, republish them on the web, or profit from the
> collection as a whole.

I do not feel that I can do so: I don't believe that I am ethically
able to profit from that which my subscribers gave freely *unless*
I told them up front, as part of the terms and conditions of subscription,
that I might choose to do so in the future.

> If the poster's copyright on their message prohibited the compilation
> copyright holder from making money, it would also prohibit the
> compilation copyright holder from republishing on the web [...]

The lists which I manage contain a clause in their introduction which
says (roughly speaking) "...the archives of this list may be put up
on the web at some point when I get around to it".  I hope that this
enables potential/new subscribers to make an informed decision about
whether they'd like to submit items or not.

---Rsk
Rich Kulawiec
rsk@gsp.org