Subject: Putting the listname on the Subject line
From: "Bernie Cosell" <bernie @ fantasyfarm . com>
Date: Thu, 4 Mar 1999 10:42:23 -0500
To: list-managers @ GreatCircle . COM

Let in ask, luddite that I am, about another relative-newness that seems
to be a loser and I sure hope dies a worthy death [although since it is
onelist [among others] perpetrating it, as with HTML I suspect
rationality and tradition are doomed]:

Gripe of the day is putting the list-name as a prefix on the subject
line.  Majordomo has had the ability to do this for some time, but as far
as I know, virtually every list admin has had the good sense *not* to
enable this.  This morning, I got treated to the following:

[Home-Sat] Re: [[Home-Sat] Re: [[Home-Sat] DC Block Splitters]]

    (which brings up a more subtle problem of this style of list setup:
    if it is gatewayed to usenet [as it is in this case] it is actually
    in violation of rfc850:

        If  the  article  is  submitted  in response  to another article
        (e.g., is a  "followup")  the default subject should  begin
        with the  four  characters "Re: " and the References line is
        required.  (The user might wish to edit the subject of the
        followup,  but  the default should begin with  "Re: ".)

    Alas, we didn't have the foresight to make a similar rule for
    email...

So, am I just being a luddite, yet again, or should I send complaints to
onelist [although fat lot of good it'll do I suspect]?  Would any of you
actually make use of this 'feature' of Majordomo [or another listserv]?
Should we/i suggest to the greatcircle folk to remove it from majordomo
as being a bad idea?

  /Bernie\
mailto:bernie@fantasyfarm.com     Pearisburg, VA

Indexed By Date Previous: Re: Definition of spam (was Topica)