Subject: Re: Putting the listname on the Subject line
From: Rich Kulawiec <rsk @ gsp . org>
Date: Thu, 4 Mar 1999 15:47:17 -0500
To: bernie @ fantasyfarm . com, list-managers @ GreatCircle . COM

On Thu, Mar 04, 1999 at 10:42:23AM -0500, Bernie Cosell wrote:
> So, am I just being a luddite, yet again, or should I send complaints to
> onelist [although fat lot of good it'll do I suspect]?

No, you are completely correct.  As you've pointed out, it can not only lead
to fairly hideous "Subject" lines, but to messages which don't comply with the
relevant RFCs.  (Granted, part of the blame for that is the mishandling
done by various mail clients.)

I also don't see the point.  I figure that users fall into two categories:

	1) Those who don't get very much mail (whether from mailing lists
		or private individuals) and who therefore don't need to
		filter/sort it (e.g. procmail).

	2) Those who get a lot of mail and need to filter/sort it.

Those in (1) don't need this; those in (2) have learned not to rely on it.
(Consider what happens when such a message is forwarded: the "Subject"
line thus is *not* an unambiguous indicator of origination via a
mailing list.)

Further, this scheme falls apart the moment two mailing lists pick the
same acronym.   Is [FB] traffic about football or furballs?

>  Would any of you actually make use of this 'feature' of Majordomo
> [or another listserv]?

Absolutely not.   I consider it a misguided attempt to solve a problem
that is better solved by sufficiently smart filtering tools.

---Rsk
Rich Kulawiec
rsk@gsp.org