Subject: Re: Putting the listname on the Subject line
From: Rich Kulawiec <rsk @ gsp . org>
Date: Fri, 5 Mar 1999 06:59:31 -0500
To: list-managers @ GreatCircle . COM

On Thu, Mar 04, 1999 at 06:53:40PM -0500, Rasmus Lerdorf wrote:
> I personally like it because many people are not able to install procmail
> or other sorts of filters on their mail host.

I'm sorry, I don't see any reason to make allowances for people who
are simultaneously (1) voluntarily signing up to receive large amounts
of mail from one or more mailing lists and (2) failing to ensure that they
have sufficient software tools and expertise to cope with (1).

> And no, client-side filtering is not the answer.  I read my mail from
> about 8 different machines in many different locations.  I have a central
> IMAP mailstore and it is essential that I leave all my mail on my central
> server so I can get at it from anywhere.

Why not?  Use fetchmail to grab it, and procmail to filter it.  You can
still read your mail from anywhere, and procmail is clearly up to the task
of filtering/filing it appropriately.

I think client-side filtering is clearly the *only* answer, because
it is impossible for anyone but the end user to know what the disposition
of each message should be; and because that decision is best made based
on the static information in the headers of each message, usually
the "To" line.

And BTW, I haven't seen any proponent of this scheme (which I consider
a bug, not a feature) address these two points: (1) how do you resolve
overlap conflicts between the tags -- a problem which will only get
worse as more mailing lists are created and (2) if you are filtering
on the tag, how do you distinguish mail sent via the mailing list
from private mail which contains the same tag (say a private followup
to a message sent via a mailing list)?

---Rsk
Rich Kulawiec
rsk@gsp.org