Subject: Re: Putting the listname on the Subject line
From: "David W. Tamkin" <dattier @ Mcs . Net>
Date: Fri, 5 Mar 1999 12:25:06 -0600 (CST)
Cc: list-managers @ GreatCircle . COM

Rich Kulawiec wrote,

| And BTW, I haven't seen any proponent of this scheme (which I consider
| a bug, not a feature) address these two points: (1) how do you resolve
| overlap conflicts between the tags -- a problem which will only get
| worse as more mailing lists are created and (2) if you are filtering
| on the tag, how do you distinguish mail sent via the mailing list
| from private mail which contains the same tag (say a private followup
| to a message sent via a mailing list)?

Being no fan of tags either [I have procmail strip them out of my subscrip-
tion copies so that more of the real subject appears on Elm's index screens
and to avoid contributing to #2] and offering them only as a discouraged
option on my own list, I still have to confess that I haven't run into #1 yet.

As to #2, yes, that is a problem.  Sometimes people mistake private replies
for public ones because the tag is still in the subject, and then, even
though the return address and the groupreply addresses of the private message
do not include the list, they might manually address a reply to the list,
not intending to quote private mail there but believing the private message
to have been public.