Subject: Re: Putting the listname on the Subject line
From: Rasmus Lerdorf <rasmus @ lerdorf . on . ca>
Date: Fri, 5 Mar 1999 13:58:05 -0500 (Eastern Standard Time)
To: Rich Kulawiec <rsk @ gsp . org>
Cc: list-managers @ GreatCircle . COM

> I don't know or care if it runs on Windows: when I have on my mailing
> list manager's hat, the end-user's choice of computing platforms is not
> my concern.  If the end-user has chosen a computing platform which is
> incapable of adequately performing the tasks which the end-user requires
> of it, then it is the end-user's responsibility to address the problem.

Well, some of us need to live in the real world.

> > I think 1) is irrelevant.  The chances of one person signing up for two
> > lists with overlapping tags it pretty remote.
>
> And you base this on what statistical study, exactly?
>
> Oh, and FYI: It has already happened.

Not to me nor to anybody on any of my lists.

Not much point discussing it.  I have been running mailing lists for about
8 years now.  If someone were to remove this capability from my mailing
list software, I am luckily capable of putting it back in myself.  Someone
asked about the merits of this and I am simply saying that there are
people out there who find it useful.

> > 2) you should note that I am not actually filtering on the tag.
> > Just using it as a visual cue in a long list of messages.
>
> Then why don't you use a mail client that lets you set the visual
> cue based on the "To:" line?

Are there any that can do this?

-Rasmus