Subject: Re: Putting the listname on the Subject line
From: Gerald Oskoboiny <gerald @ impressive . net>
Date: Mon, 8 Mar 1999 17:46:26 -0500
To: Jeremy Blackman <loki @ maison-otaku . net>
Cc: list-managers @ GreatCircle . COM

On Mon, Mar 08, 1999 at 02:04:24AM -0800, Jeremy Blackman wrote:
> for some users, the subject tag -is- the only viable way to do
> mail filters.  It's all well and good to say their mail tools
> are broken, but there's a point at which you have to make
> allowances instead of saying 'you're stuck, find your own
> solution'.

This is all true, but there are two approaches to solving this
problem:

    1) the subject-munging hack (which has various negative
       consequences, as has already been discussed), and

    2) educating users about mail filtering, creating
       documentation to help them understand the filtering
       features of various popular MUAs (and gently nudging
       them towards MUAs that get this stuff right.)

An example of such documentation is:

    http://www.hwg.org/resources/faqs/filterFAQ.html

I favor this approach because it has the nice side effect of
giving MUA authors an added incentive to implement better
filtering features in their software: if they don't, they'll
end up losing users to other MUAs. (while the subject-munging
approach doesn't give MUA authors any incentive to implement
anything besides filtering on subjects, and we're stuck with
the status quo.)

Of course, having said all that, I agree that needs vary from
list to list and it's up to list managers to decide what's best,
yadda yadda yadda. I'm just trying to encourage my fellow list
managers to avoid subject-munging if at all possible, and to
consider approaches that help improve the state of the art
instead of giving in to today's broken technology.

--
Gerald Oskoboiny <gerald@impressive.net>
http://impressive.net/people/gerald/