Subject: Re: no universal system, no 'get a real client'
From: Michelle Dick <artemis @ rahul . net>
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 99 17:05:27 -0800
To: <List-Managers @ GreatCircle . COM>

Tom wrote:

> Unfortunately, it's been my experience over the years that just as
> some users cannot change their mail agent, some administrators
> cannot grasp or agree with this egalitarian principle, and will
> always give you the "well, the idiots should get a real mailer [as
> defined this month] or they don't deserve my list" argument.

And yet other adminstrators feel that they should not be obligated to
work for free to solve the problems of people who are not their
customers or benefactors in any way.

Just as not every user can change their mail agent, not every
administrator is getting paid for hosting and running a list.  Some
even put in their own money to do so, never seeing, nor desiring a
cent in return.

In my experience, the administrators paid to meet users needs who say
"well, the idiots whould get a real mailer or they don't deserve my
list" are as common as non-customer end users whose enjoyment the
charity of others causes them to believe that the adminstrators of
that charity owe it to them to cater to their every desire [of the
day].

> Those folks will always be around, and so will those who think like
> Karen and me, so the best we can do is to stay focused and not get
> distractedby the "get a real mailer" noise when we're working out
> how to best keep serving the users.

Interesting, I thought Karen's message was very fair and even-handed.
She seemed aware that just as not every user is in the same situation,
neither is every list owner (which is why she detailed her situation
and how it was special).  I wonder if she is comfortable being grouped
with you and your characterization of list-owners who have different
opinions than yours?

--
Michelle Dick       artemis@rahul.net       East Palo Alto, CA